Well said on the timing bit Thomas. For what its worth, I'll throw my own
development timeline out here for perusal.
I started a project back in August of 2013, which I would estimate to be
about as complex (though larger than) trek2000, and perhaps on par with
smugglers 3.
I've been developing this completely in spare time and when I felt like it,
so there have been several periods of a few months where I haven't even
touched the code at all.
I'm hoping for, but will likely not have (I give it 80-20 odds against) a
sudo-playable alpha version by the end of this upcoming January.
This version will be a complete skeleton concept, and lack about 90% of the
"content" that I want to add (story, missions, other game aspects).
Once this alpha is released, I would expect a playable beta version to be
released in a year or two, depending on how much time I (and the alpha team)
can dedicate to it.
Almost all of the time I've spent on this so far has been programming
related (maybe 30 minutes finding sounds and editing them), so I'm not even
started on any of the story scenes or more complex atmosphere.
If all goes well, a playable game version, *may* be released to the public
in a couple years, presuming of course that nothing comes along that derails
development even further.
When I started this project, I'd no clue it was going to take that long; but
it really does, unless you want to treat your game design like a 9 to 5 job.