Hi Charles and all,
The poll was taken for that exact purpose. To find out what people 
wanted. However, polling and following through are two different things.
Imagine yourself as me for a second. You take this poll finding out what 
gamers want. Ok, the poll comes up side-scroller which you were hoping 
wouldn't win. It did anyway. Well, you think you can live with it.
So you sit down in front of your PC starting to rewrite the game engine 
from scratch. You know there were copyright issues and bugs in the old 
Montezuma's Revenge so you know no matter what you are stuck with 
another year two finishing a game that was suppose to be almost done. 
You are stuck rewriting a game from scratch that you already wrote and 
failed to complete through no fault of your own. Following me so far?
Now, one of the prevailing arguments for a side-scroller is it will take 
less time to complete. Not true. I need to rewrite major portions of 
that engine, and it might be better for the game in the long run to 
simply start over fresh because I know far more about the game and its 
problems now than I did when I started. So no matter if I do a 3D or 2D 
version I am in it for the long hall which means 1 or two years of work 
to get back to where we are now.
Now, let us look at financial compinsation. I started said game in 
<March 2006 and made aproximitly #1500 on developing it. The next two 
years I spend on working on this game will earn me nothing unless I can 
attract new buyers. So there is no financial motive in it for me.
Let us look at the unnoticed human side of things. I have worked on the 
game since March 2006 so as of now I have put two years into this 
abortion of a game with little attention put into my own games, 
projects, or desires. To say the least about the needs of my friends, 
family, business, or other hobbies. I am sick to death of the game and 
just want it out of my life no ifs, ands, and butts about it.
Now, if you look at working on a game for no more pay and a lack of 
desire to create this type of game what do you call it? I call it 
slavery. I call it mental and cruel abuse of a game developer who has 
done nothing butt work hard to give you all a game I couldn't release do 
to some bleeping copyright holder that said take the game down. I 
frankly don't want anything more to do with Montezuma's Revenge, 
Montezuma's Return, etc. There is absolutely nothing in it for me except 
hard work and two more years or so of my life spent on this waist of time.
After I complete this side-scroller you all moaned and complained about 
if you don't like the final product I'll simply give you a couple of 
quarters and tell you to call someone who gives a frick.


Charles Rivard wrote:
> All I, for one, expect is what has been promised.  I anticipate anything you 
> offer in the future.  Your openness and honesty are appreciated.  The taking 
> of a poll as to whether to make the side scrolling or the 3D game indicated 
> to me that you were willing to produce what the majority of the community 
> wanted, which is a good thing.  What was the poll's purpose if it was not to 
> help decide which way you should go?  I might have been under the wrong 
> impression.  Thanks.
>
>   


---
Gamers mailing list __ [email protected]
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to