well I have started doing this in preparation for this eventuallity.
2 out of the 3 systems we use are now vista ready at least hardware is.
all office stuff below xp has been chucked  so thats ok.
Most of the stuff I use, ie avg, and other security programs, is vista
compatible, parts of hal, sam, the dcm drivers are vista compatible.
I have a second recorder that is vista compatible.
I don't use a scanner enough to upgrade it, but once all the printers here die,
I am going to aim for a network printer that has everything on it.
that will be vista compatible.
the main system is going to get a ram upgrade, and maybe some other fixes since
its semi dead right now.
it to should be at least almost vista compatible.
it will only be a 2.8ghz cpu singlecore with an old 128nvidia gforce in it but
it should have at least 1.5 gb if I play my cards right and betwene 1 or 2gb if
I don't.
It should be at least semi compatible with vista.
All this costs a few grand, maybe 2 grand max.
The big issue is all the screenreaders, these do cost the upgrade, when I do
this I plan to upgrade to as high as I can go, since I will pay megabucks to
upgrade hal and jaws, I will go all pro with both, jaws is at pro now, I will
get scripting packages, and extras I suppose.
Everything should be almost ready hardware wise, even the router has been
upgraded to basic wireless.
Eventually I'd like to have a muck around box, where I won't store anything
secure and where there will not be any security.
well almost nothing.
I will probably use that to do audio stuff, or something.
A linux server to handle security for everyone without people wanting to doodle
with it here which is what is happening with security on this network.
Every system bar one has standard windows firewall, avg, spywareblaster spybot
configs with no to low risk use, 1 or 2 viruses a year do creep in and get the
systems but are easilly delt with.
Mail is scanned by the isp.
The main box has all the filesharing on it, and other things, it seems to get
hit loads more and the security is rather high.
And unfortunately not usable by me to fix anything.
I then need another config.
I'd like one single security system I could control from anywhere on the
network.
and as long as everyone was on I chould just do things without mucking round.
Ofcause I have physically no room for that extra box for now.