Hi Dark,
Oh, I know exactly what you are saying about game stereotypes. When I began drafting my game rpg game I started to go with a fantacy setting and realize everybody who is anybody has been there and done that so to speak. We have everything from Zork to Final Fantacy, and it is assumed just because a creature is a goblin, orc, etc it is automatically evil and something to beat up on. Most fantacy games have similar themes but different settings and char names.
How many times do you have to read an adventure description like this to
get the feeling you have been there and done that before.

The Dark Tower Adventure

One day while walking through the North Broadlands you come accross a large tower that looks very old. You have heard from the farmers, woodsmen, and rangers who live in the area that it once belonged to a long dead dark wizard. Recently the wizard's ghost has been sighted near the tower, and many fear he may be returning to life do to some dark magic.

What would you like to do?

Play Adventure (p)
Cancel Adventure (c)

I don't know about you, but even though my little adventure description sounds cool that isn't all that much different from a story you can get out of a DND adventures companion book or off of Sryth. It is too common place. Dark wizards, ghosts, goblins, etc are what you expect in that setting. Not much new ground. I've been turning to sci-fi myself because we already have a good fantacy game, Sryth, that fits my needs. Science Fiction still is wide open for the taking. Even if I take an off the shelf Science Fiction theme like Star Wars or Star Trek those have huge possibilities in play value. In fact, years of development have given them ready made universes to explore and build upon.
Smile.

dark wrote:
Hi Tom.

actually, it's lack of this type of game which has been the biggest temptation for me to go into programming myself, ----- though of course, life circumstances, my phd, stage performances and the fact that I'd actually like to get some proper writing done (sinse that's I think going to be my main career path), have all got seriously in the way.

this is why I've been such a big supporter of the expanded gamebook formats such as Sryth, age of fable and the Chronicles of arborell.

I'm just rather sad nobody has exploited the exploration potential of scifi, sinse imho it's potential is just as great as fantasy as a setting, ----- pluss it lacks so many sterriotypes that often get in the way of building an interesting fantasy world.

eg, in a fantasy game you can just state that goblins are an evil race of demihumans and leave it at that, where as to setup an evil alien race like the daleks or the shadows takes work in background.

Of course good fantasy game writers such as Mathew yarrows in Sryth can also give goblins etc extra info and background, ----- but it's horribly easy imho (as the generic grindable monsters in pvp games show), to just state "goblin warrior, 5 hp" and leave it at that.

Oh, and on the monster background, this is one of the things I'm really liking in the entombed game.

Beware the Grue!