Yeah, Spore uses procedural functions to create an entire galaxy. It was a
great concept, but a little neutered in that game. The only other game off
the top of my head that did that was a space game called Elite. Actually,
the BBS game Tradewars also created a universe in that fashion, but it was
very limited. The magic behind a procedural universe is that it takes no
resources at all to store. So I guess Tradewars really didn't fit the bill
there after all.

A universe like that constrained to a few rules to make it like a game would
be magic. But I don't want to get distracted thinking about it. Haha.

Jason