Hi Marvin and all,
Yes, there is an accessible game developers list and it is found at
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com/lists.php.
You can subscribe to it by sending a blank e-mail to
developers-subscr...@usagamesinteractive.com
and reply to the subscription verification e-mail.
As far as getting started goes you will want to learn a programming language such as C++, C-Sharp, Python, whatever. I don't recommend using Visual Basic 6 primarily because it is out of date, is no longer supported by Microsoft, and requires a bunch of older runtime libraries to be installed manually on newer Windows versions. Although, if you have your heart set on Visual Basic I recommend Visual Basic 2005 or higher. After you are comfortable with a programming language you will need to learn how to program your games using a software developer kit such as DirectX, LibSDL, PyGame, etc. Software Developer Kits such as DirectX or LibSDL are used to program input, audio, and graphics support for games and is very important to know. However, this is just the beginning. I want to mention here often there is much more to creating games than just knowing a programming language and a good SDK like DirectX. There are specialized techniques or methods for doing things such as programming AI. An AI can be as simple as an if, then, else type simple logic to something more complex and interesting like fuzzy logic. This is a specialized field of programming you might want to research at length in order to design a better artificial intelligence for your game characters. Another field of study that is helpful in programming games is math and physics. Obviously, for card games like Solitaire, Black Jack, and Poker you don't need to be a math or physics major to create good games. However, if you want to create something like Microsoft Flight Simulator you are going to be dealing with some fairly in depth math and physics. I'm just using this as a comparison on how math and physics can become extremely important depending on the genre or type of game you intend to create. Therefore the better you are in these two fields the better and more realistic games you can create. Finally, there is the game's story to consider here. Most of us want to write games, and even if we have the programming skill to create them we might not be so good at coming up with a good story. The game's story, in my opinion, is just as important as the programming required to create it. For example, in recent years there have been several top selling mainstream games like Doom, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, etc that began as video games and later became movies. I'm not suggesting anyone here has to come up with a story quite that good, but only that putting some thought and effort into a good story line will make the game more apealing to others. If you want to sell games an apealing story line might interest others in buying and playing your game. While using an existing story line such as Harry Potter, Star wars, Star Trek, and so on is highly popular and apealing that is also potentially a serious problem. Copyright laws are fairly strict on that matter and how much copyrighted content you can get away with using largely depends on if the copyright holder finds out about the infringement, and weather or not they are willing to enforce it legally if they do. I'm guessing many won't, but you never know.
HTH