Hi Davy,
Yeah, I'm strongly looking at XAudio2 myself. I've read over the DirectX documentation and have tinkered with the sample source code some too. Over all I like the library, but I'm honestly not very familiar with it yet. I'm wondering since you seam to have a lead on this if you would be willing to help me with it either off list or on the game developers list. I'm fairly certain that Mysteries of the Ancients will be my last game written in C# using the Managed DirectX libraries. While those technologies have served me well, the games I have created aren't bad by any means, I'm none-the-less dissatisfied with them from a technical point of view. For one thing Microsoft has discontinued Managed DirectX and that is a core component in all of my current game projects. Then, you have the issue that none of my games will run on a 64 byt processor because I don't own a professional version of Visual C#, and I can't change the target platform with the express version. Finally, when you consider the download size for the .NET Framework updates, the Managed DirectX updates, etc you end up with nearly 500 MB of additional components just to install one game. That frankly sucks. Anyway, I understand your opinion of using C++ for writing games completely. Recently I have written some test game projects in C++ on my Linux computer here, and the results are pretty conclusive. The same application written in C++ is faster, runs smoother, and operates better than one written in Java, Python, or in C-Sharp. Runtime languages run much slower and use more memory in the process. While I find doing my own garbage collection a bit of a pain, kind of like going back to the dark ages of programming, it is none-the-less much better for the game in the long run. When I wrote the same application in Java the Java garbage collecter couldn't keep up. It was too slow to keep up with everything going on. Java is and always has been designed for standard applications, and I feel is far to clunky for fast action games. Python was equally slow and clunky when push comes to shove. C-Sharp held its own, was almost as fast as C++, but still requires a bunch of dependancies to be installed and run. Not to mention the fact no native access to core Linux components like gnome-speech that would come in handy for an accessible game designed for Linux. All and all C++ would be my pick based on the evidence. As far as DirectInput verses using Windows keyboard events that is interesting. I've always read that DirectInput was faster than using standard Windows events for keyboards and mice. If you say is true then I'll have to remind myself on how to recieve standard keyboard input via Windows than DirectInput. I haven't done it in so long I've forgotten how.
Smile.

Davy Kager wrote:
Hi,

I am developing a new game title (Project Excalibur) myself, using Unmanaged C++ and XAudio2. So I can tell that XAudio2 definitely is a superior version of DirectSound. It is extremely flexible, fast and easy to use once you get used to it. As for th einput side of things, I was previously using DirectInput for the keyboard input, but I have changed to standard Windows input handling. These Windows messages that represent keypresses are easier to retrieve (Windows sends them anyway), there is no seperate interface anymore (decreased program size), the Windows input system for keyboards seems faster than DirectInput, and Windows input allows you to get more detailed information about the keypress. This last advantage effectively means that you can detect if a key was previously pressed or not, which is useful to turn key repeat off in your game title. For joystick support you would still be best of with DirectInput as far as I can tell. But then, I ahve never written or researched joystick support in games.

Cheers!