Hi,

Well, as for documentation: choose C++ if you want to have up-to-date, full documentation. No language matches the excellent support of C++ (at least that goes for Microsoft). This is one of the reasons why I chose C++. And not to make this a C++-propaganda message, but I will never switch to any other language unless it is the follow-up of C++. The syntax is brilliant and apparently th eonly syntax that I understand well enough to program in. I have never understood what people like about VB.net and the other "word-languages". To me, Then, End, Sub and all the other words are confusing to simple brackets. But many people have difficulty with the language. However, if you really want to make high-performance games -- which you probably don't if you are a newbie -- then C++ is the best. Don't use the MAnaged side of things, go for the raw Unmanaged C++. But once again, this path is long, hard, and full of hazards. C++ allows you to get very close to the computer's hardware, but it can lead to malfunctioning programs if you forget a single line, or even a single character in your source code. It's really an art.

Regards,
Davy
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] creating accessible games

Hi Davy and all,
I agree with you in part, but not completely here. Yes, it is true that developing a game using a language you know can speed up the process, make it easier, but that isn't always the case. A language like Visual Basic .NET doesn't have a lot of game related documentation available for new developers. The Managed DirectX API for .NET developers doesn't have any official documentation for Visual Basic. All of the documentation is for C-Sharp. It is probably easier to learn how to use Managed DirectX with C-Sharp rather than Visual Basic. In fact, I've found more documentation for SDL and Visual Basic .NET than I have for DirectX, and that is saying something. What I'm saying is as far as programming games in Visual Basic goes it is not very common or popular these days. Most of the old VB 6 developers have switched to C-Sharp, and those who haven't use VB .NET for business applications.
HTH

Davy Kager wrote:
Hi,
What language are you most familiar with? To accelerate development, I would go for the language you know best. There are many VB(.net) programmers on this list. There are also C# programmers, and even some C++ devs (including myself). Please try to write down some specific questions, and I'm sure we all will be able to answer them.
Regards,
Davy