I would opine that the problem with Tomb Raider's lack of sales is the redundant game play. Folks don't want to shell out $50 to play something they've already done over and over, no matter how much it advances what is usually a fairly thin plot line. Other than Homeworld, there have been very few games with a really intriguing plot line in my opinion released out there since the infocom games of the eighties. This doesn't include games based on existing story lines, such as Star Wars or Harry Potter of course, those guys have the unique ability to build on what has come before, but to create an original idea from scratch and have it be compelling is a very tricky business. Overall though, the plot doesn't touch game play in importance to most players. You could have the best plot line since The Godfather, and if the game play wasn't fun, it wouldn't matter one bit.
Later
che

----- Original Message ----- From: "Munawar Bijani" <munaw...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] The real Game Circle

Hi Tom,
I think the real issue is not the lack of plot in Tomb raider, but simply that it's been going on for so long. Take Metal Gear Solid, for instance. It got so popular people wrote official analytical papers on its story. Scratch the game play--it's just a first-person shooter. But the developers for MGS did something right: they pakced the entire plot into four games, and ended it. Harry Potter would have suffered the same fate as Tomb Raider if Rowling had dragged on the series for another ten books. Animorphs suffered that fate. What seems to happen is some developers get too cocky and don't know when to stop. When that happens, the audience goes, "oh, when will this thing end?" And then when it does, they go "finally!" and just throw the whole series out the window. Or when they do finally end it, the ending wasn't even worth the suspense. I know several series that have ended horribly--with a total lack of creativity, and it has left me disappointed in the end.
Munawar A. Bijani
"Knowledge is of two types: absorbed and heard. The heard knowledge is only useful if it is absorbed." - Imam Ali Ibn Abu Talib, Nahj Al-Balagha
mailto:munaw...@gmail.com
http://www.bpcprograms.com