Not only that, but as I told him in another message it'll give the entire blind community, gaming or otherwise, a reputation we definitely don't want, and which we already have in some people's minds just because of one blind person they met on the street. I know a girl like that, who seems to feel blindness means we should get deferencial treatment as if we were royalty. I hate people like that with a passion. But while I'd love to see every future mainstream game made accessible and even the current ones, realistically it's probably never going to happen. And even if, miracle of miracles, we did manage to win the respect of mainstream devs, we may be able to get them to make their upcoming games accessible, but there's no way in Hades we'd be able to get them to go back and make their prior titles accessible, unless perhaps it be a port to a new console. And even then they might only do it with some games. Ideally what needs to happen is some blind electronics and computer nerd needs to design a gaming console specifically for us, a console so innovative that it captures the attention of the media. It might prove our point to mainstream devs and it might not. But such an idea would likely cost far more than any blind person has to spare. The long and short of it is that mainstream game accessibility is and will probably always be no more than wishful thinking unless we can all find a way to band together in a mature, persuasive manner and persuade these big corporations that it wold be in their best interests. And make mo mistake, EVERY BLIND PERSON IN THE WORLD would probably have to get involved in this. And even then it might not do any good.
You have acquired the skill of Weaponry Theremin.
Your current level of mastery is 10 Apprentice.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mainstream game accessibility

Hi Josh,
Sigh...Believe it or not we can't get everything we want simply by making demands, throwing adult temper tantrums, and acting like spoiled children. If we did that I can assure you that is exactly how they would view our immature behavior regarding this issue. First, of all you are completely ignoring the law. Are you aware that carrying out a campaign of bombarding their e-mails, phones, mail, etc can get you charged with harassment? If you make threats or make any kind of menacing comments to them you can be charged with menacing? Are you aware if you write a program with the intent to e-mail them daily, weekly, etc without there consent that is illegal? My point is if we are to make any progress with these companies at all we have to above all else act like responsible adults. Acting like a spoiled child who lost his game privileges and is tossing a temper tantrum isn't going to make them respect us any. If we want them to respect us we have to first respect them. Respect is earned not taken by force. If we don't act responcibly we could find ourselves in court being charged with something. As far as taking them to court I don't think you have any idea how much that would cost. Most of these companies have the financial fortitude to higher the best legal services in the country. A case like this could go as far as the supreme court because in a way it is a type of civil rights case. Cases involving disabilities or racial issues can drag out years in the courts both sides winning and losing battles until it reaches a level where someone can make a ruling that is binding. That costs more money than any of us realistically have.

Josh wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Ok then. why not send them mass emails until they get sick of us and take them to court over it and sue them. If we are an insect that can be swatted out of the way, then lets make ourselves look big, huge, gigantic! lets make a program that sends them emails and does automated calling to the companies once per week or once per month which reminds them we will not go away and we will not stand for their rudeness!

Josh

Join me on klango at www.klango.net visit and sign my petition at: http://www.petitiononline.com/coda1234/petition.html and visit my blog at: http://jkenn337.klangoblog.net follow me on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jkenn337