well I can help here.
the os of choice would have to be a linux based os.
its free opensource and is used everywhere  mostly.
soleris is another option.
dos although not free as such is in the public domain, at least 7 is.
tom you were thinking about
developing a linux distro.
Now if you had to say have a standard distrobution which was free maybe a pro
distrobution then you mentioned that your os was on a game console and that
your console, website and some other things were powered by it it may be doable.
as for apis, use whats around.
and there you have it.
I am all in for shelling on a thing like this.
I could do voice overs, for the thing if you wished, unfortunately I have not
much free sfx, but generic sfx may be ok.
another option if the devs at klango did not mind would to have a system, with
a drive, and everything run klango, not as windows but as an os its already got
an interface, clango is free and most stuff is online, though loads of things
would have to be writen for it.
I don't care for using it for much as it has issues with stability on here but
still its doable.