For those blind people who ask, "Why can't you make this game accessible?", and they don't understand why you cannot, turn the tables by asking "Got any ideas on how to do it? I'm open to any and all credible suggestions." Maybe they will get a clue and maybe they won't, but it's an attempt to drive the point home. I can think of 2 examples right away that some blind people would possibly be interested in. A game of pool, as in 8-ball, and a game of Quidditch. In the game of pool, how would the balls be identified and located? How would aiming be done? How would the power of your shot be determined? In the game of Quidditch, how would you keep track of 13 moving players, 2 moving bludgers, the quaffle and the golden snitch? And, if you choose to play the position of chaser, where are the goals and keeper in relation to you? Asking why a game cannot be, or hasn't been, made accessible is easy, but the solution certainly is not! Even if you have a solution, conveying your instructions to a computer so that everything works flawlessly and smoothly is a problem that takes time only recognized by programmers who work at it on a daily basis.
---
Shepherds are the best beasts.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mainstream game accessibility

Hi Ryan,
Good point. That is one issue I briefly touched upon in my interview with Game Spot last night. Fact of the matter is while there are several games that might be improved accessibility wise there will always be some types of games that can and never will be made accessible. Understand I mean not technically possible rather than a lack of desire to try and make it accessible. It is terribly difficult to explain to some people who don't have the faintest clue about programming about certain things like this. Some blind gamers may assume because games have been made accessible in the past that every game that has been created could be made accessible if someone tried. That isn't true, and there will always be a few games that require some level of sight to play no matter what.

Ryan Strunk wrote:
Chrissy,

I think you're right on here. Besides which I don't believe every single
game technically could be made accessible. Can you imagine the can of worms that would open if suddenly some games were accessible but others weren't?

Ryan