Not a game arcade, per say, but the first games I remember seeing were bowling machines. They were about 15 feet long and maybe? 3 feet wide.
From 1 to 6 people could play for a dime (ten cents) a game, or 2 games for
a quarter (25 cents). The bowling pins hung just above the surface of the lane, and you rolled a wooden ball at them. Pin action was determined by which of several bars, positioned beneath the pins, the ball rolled over. Scoring was done automatically, and displayed on the machine from which the pins hung. As a blind player, I could walk down to where the pins were and feel which ones were still hanging straight down after my first shot if I were the only player.

 Stop repeat offenders! Don't reelect them!

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] game arcades in shopping malls and cafes

Hi,
Yeah, I think cost has a lot to do with why stand up coin operated arcade machines are on the decline. They are still around, but I often don't let my son play them because they cost too much to play very many games. I've seen some that are like 50 cents and plenty of games that costs as much as a dollar per game. For that price back in the 1980's I could have had four games for the price of one. Now, that I am the responcible adult I can't see throwing money away on arcade games. It would be different if they were still 25 cents and I could buy four games for a dollar instead of one game for a dollar.

Darren Harris wrote:
Yeah but it's more like $1 now to play or something very near that mark.
Those games aren't fun any more because of the price.