Hi,
Actually Mortal Kombat 1 and Tekken 1 came out at roughly the same time period. I was still in high school, say 93 or 94, when MK came out. Tekken came out perhaps a year or so later. I know this as both games were largely talked about in school at lunch time when various gamers chatted about the hot new releases. I was still interested enough in mainstream games then to be interested in what was coming out, and what to try next.

Johnny Tai wrote:
Man, and we ahven't even gotten into the whole thing about Kazuya's background, how his father treated him- throwing him off a cliff when he was young, and only the need for revenge and the devil in him kept him alive, and how Jun and others got into the stories from different angles... Yeah, that'd take a book to sum up. And then there's the whole arc about Bryan Fury who just happens to be on the top of my favorite chars list.

To clarify about the Ogre though. He fought in Tekken three mainly to consume people... It's like he's nothing on his own, and only by taking on others traits and energies can he be god-like. For me, Ogre and True Ogre were nowhere as tough as Kazuya and Devil in Tekken II rofl, that pair made me want to throw the control so many times.

Okay, so I see MK is taking a hard beating in this contest, but I think we should also remember that MK came out like 10 years earlier than Tekken, so obviously the standard back then were alot lower.