To be honest I'm not sure what the issue is here. In my experience a side
scroller's main feature dealt with the placement of the camera. Certainly
there were no save features for side scrollers in the eighties, but that's
because we had wonderful things called passwords. Remember Mega Man and the
silly placement of red and blue dots? Or American Gladiators and the random,
easily hacked sequence of A's and B's? Let's not forget all the majorly
complicated strings of letters and numbers like those found in Metroid or
River City Ransom. Justin Bailey anyone?

And random placement? Not every candle/torch/camp fire in Castlevania always
had the same contents when you broke it open, and enemies were always
dropping different items in Mega Man based on random chance.

So what's the issue here? A true side scroller? You already have that. You
press left to move left and right to move right. Beyond that everything else
is just design. It could be never ending like pit fall. It could be
fast-paced and criminally difficult like Contra. It could be all about
scoring points, saving the princess, or taking down the Shredder.

Personally I don't care about the money anymore. I bought the game five
years ago along with Max Shrapnel and a three month subscription to the ESP
server. Since then I haven't seen anything, and I've given up my $100.77 as
water under the bridge and a lesson well learned. So for what it's worth, my
comments aren't predicated on a need to feel vindicated.

With that in mind, I just don't see what the issue is. So the game isn't
Russian Attack. It's not Double Dragon either. Who cares? You have the major
engine concepts in place and enough technical know-how to finish the project
and write it off as an experience never to repeat. Do what you want with the
game, get it off your desk, and stop trying to please everyone; you won't be
able to.

Ryan