Hi Dark,
Yeah, that is pretty much my experience as well. Nice or not all we are doing is contacting the low level peons who have no real power or authority. Even if they sympathize with our cause they are not able to refer us to a higher power, or are unable to do so. often it is just company policy to handle our queries at the gate and tell us to beat it. I'm still pretty upset over Lucasfilm's licensing policies. It took me months to get some kind of contact information for Lucas Licensing, and even when I did it was all in vain. I quickly discovered there licensing is designed for mass market products like toys, games, whatever that is expected to sell millions of copies world wide. When I explained I could not afford their licensing and royalty fees do to the fact I was expecting to sell perhaps 1,000 to 2,000 units they shut me down pretty quick. It was made pretty clear that unless I had a mass market product I could sell, that might bring in millions of dollars for the company, I could forget it. I saw they only license to companies that have millions of dollars to spend on licenses and royalties, and I'm nothing but pocket change to them, and am not worth talking too. Never mind I was hoping to release a unique product, an accessible Star Wars game, they wouldn't get from anyone else. However, accessibility took a back seat to company policy and out and out greed. I often wonder, naturally, if George Lucas himself would have given me leave, or if he would have been as anal as his licensing department. I'm unlikely to know as there is no real easy way to contact him, and find out. He has, like so many other business men, put guards at the gate who handle the day to day business of the company.The same kind of problems exist when trying to contact Sony or any other major player in the video gaming market. You have to go through 10,000 layers of peons to get to someone who might be able to give you an answer. Even if you do you are likely to get the company line.

dark wrote:
That's true tom regarding getting in touch with companies.

I actually spoke to a capcom rep on the phone, and he was less than helpful.

When I phoned Nintendo Uk asking about access to the wiimote menue system, I got a much more useful person, who appreciated the problem and actually tested various methods for me.

However, that conversation ended in a big road block, because even though it wouldn't be difficult for Nintendo to make a basic upgrade to the wii to have a standardized menue system as an alternative to using the wiimote, Nintendo Uk actually couldn't get in touch with the developement team in Japan or the Us to tell them, ---- even if they wanted to.

And that was working with an extremely nice and cooperative person from Nintendo Uk in the first place.

Even getting the phone number of Nintendo's Uk office was something of an adventure (sinse of course they're X directory), required me to sweet talk first a mail order service (who luckily I've used on several occasions), and then a whole sale despatcher.

While i'm completely unsure that suing companies is the right way to go, ---- I'm stil not certain how anyone, ---- even major organizations like the game accessibility project can actually talk to the people that matter about game access.

this is why, both from extensive personal experience talking to companies about access, I'm stil convinced the future of accessible games lies with the independent developers like Nielsbaur (see the latest news on audiogames.net for more on them), and 7-128, ---- and all those web games we've been playing.

I'm actually amazed how quickly some developers, ---- such as coops of core exiles are in responding to reasonable access suggestions.

I'm not saying that the game accessibility project etc shouldn't try to contact the mainstream companies, ---- I'm just very scheptical of how much actual good it will do given their truly insan burocracy.

Beware the grue!