My thesis is basically ethical in nature.

In the first part I'm trying to establish a reasonable deffinition of disability based upon factors such as desire, consciousness, effort and quality of life. In the second part i'll then apply this deffinition to a number of problems. I have for instance already got a workable deffinition of when a thing is, or is not accessible.

that's why this sort of thing is related, ---- sinse though I am not working in a legal field, most government legislation, ---- as well as even more basic social deffinitions is based on a rather shoody system of defigning disability, ---- which doesn't seem to work.

also, in terms of the academic literature, medical professionals simply state that condition X is a disability, ---- without saying overall what a disability is. Then in the 1970's, a raging mob of sociologists decided that the entire "disability" deffinition was just another form of discrimination like racism or sexism, ----- and railed loudly about it ever sinse.

that's why I'd like to take a step back, and start with first principles with "The word disability means" and go on from there, ---- hopefully ending with something useful.

That's the plan anyway.

On the international front, i've actually noticed that atitudes of individual people as well as countries can vary widely.

By and large it seems people in American, norway, Germany, Holland and several other places are more relaxed on the disability issue, ---- despite legal hang ups, and will both provide some sort of assistance, ---- ie, tactile lift buttons, and not treat someone like a marssian simply because their carrying a white stick or in a wheel chair.

Sadly other countries, ---- Britain included, are not so great.

I do not actually use busses at all for the reason you described, ---- in fact in this country, trying to get a driver to notify you of a stop is an absolute impossibility!

I've also had innumerable instances where people behave in an absolutely idiotic manner, ---- usually arousing my sarcasm.

One amusing instance, i was walking down a six foot wide pavement, ---- six feet from a lady. She decided for reasons best known to herself to bellow in an incredibly loud voice for the hole street to here "mind! the Blind! man!"

Not to be outdone, I turned round and bellowed equally loudly "yes! mind the man who is not deaf!"

Sadly this isn't an isolated incident. if I go to a general event of any nature, I can be certain nobody will even acknolidge my existance for the first three hours, ---- much less see me as a human being worth talking to.

On one occasion, I was in a performance with an american director, ---- who was aqbsolutely and completely shocked by this behaviour!

When I visited norway however, not only was everyone quite prepared to be reasonable, --- but the social reactions were truly bizarre!

Standing at the side of the road with my cane, the traphic would very literally and abruptly stop! as though it'd reached a red light, ---- I've never seen that in any country sinse.

Then of course there are the legal issues. In america for instance, --- -isn't it the law that the first few seats of every train cariage be left for disabled passengers?

I'll stop before this turns into a wrant (ooopse! too late), but hopefully this illustrates why I'm working on a theory of disability, and what sort of things I'd like it to highlight.

Do I think it will change the world? ---- heck no! but having it out there and having people rethink the debate certainly can't hurt.

pluss of course, I get my Phd out of it ---- grin!

We'd better get back to games now.