From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 01 December 2009 22:38
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Promotion was:Screen Readers and Games

Hi Darren,
That's quite true. Games like Tank Commander, Shades of Doom, Sarah, and
Mysteries of the Ancients are beginning to catch up with there
mainstream counter parts, and just getting the message out there that we
can play rather sifisticated games should be the over all message. I
know when I first lost my vision and I could no longer play Jedi Knight,
Tomb Raider, Soldier of Fortune, and other games that were out in the
90's I didn't realy know what was available for me as a blind gamer. For
a long while all I knew about was interactive fiction text games I found
on the net, wrote afew text games on my own, and I had heard about Jim
Kitchen's free games through a friend. I thought that was all there was
until i found Audyssey around 2000, and found out there was GMA, ESP,
and various other accessible game developers out there. I was very quite
surprised and delited when I found out GMA was developing a clone of
doom, which was in beta when I discovered them, because I believed I was
the first person to think up the idea of eventually creating a FPS game
after college.
Anyway, getting the word out that such games do exist would make a lot
of young  blind gamershappy if they could hear about it. So many of them
like me wanted to play Doom, Resident Evil, or whatever their friends
are playing, and can't because the mainstream titles aren't accessible.
The fact such games do exist and are beginning to be developed now
should be gotten to them when and where we can.

Darren Harris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No but at least by showing said games off you're showing the
> capabilities that are on offer with an audio game. You're proving that
> it's not just a series of beeps and that's it. There's a whole lot
> more to it basically and that's what we really need to get out or
> otherwise there isn't really going to be that much interest generated.

subscription via the web, at
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org. No virus found in this