Hi Jim,
Well, my biggest problem with .NET wasn't the languages or the .NET Framework so much as Managed DirectX. It doesn't ship with Windows, and nor does Microsoft plan to make it a core component since DirectSound and the older DirectX libraries are on their way out anyway. So I constantly had to help users get that installed. However, Managed DirectX isn't a game developer's only option here. There are free and open source projects like SdlDotNet which would be perfectly fine for your games or SlimDX. There are some commercial audio libraries out there like FMOD Ex and Irrklang. Either way DirectX really isn't necessary these days to create a good game. It is just that people have gotten so use to having DirectX they don't know their alternatives.

Cheers!

Jim Kitchen wrote:
Hi Che,

Thanks. I may take a look at C sharp. The only thing is, as I said to Thomas, I think that I will just stick with VB6 for my games. I mean with the problem of people needing to have the correct Net stuff installed etc. But as I said I just love programming and should take a look at other languages. But I do know and like BB6 and do not think that it would not be able to do anything that I would want it to do.

I do believe that such games as Shades of Doom, Lone Wolf, Tank Commander, Sarah, Pacman Talks, Pinball extreme, Monkey business and maybe all of the BSC games are all written in VB6. Maybe for fast paced graphics it may not be able to keep up, but for accessible sound based games, I think that it can.

BFN

    Jim