Hi Jim,
  I would highly recommend you take a look at c sharp.
  The learning curve from vb to sharp won't be nearly as steep as c plus
plus, and a good deal of the IDE you are used to will still be there, and it
works great with jaws.
  I am currently wrapping up my last project with vb.net as all future stuff
will be in c sharp via the XNA framework.
  Once you get the basics of object oriented programming down, you'll find
it a breeze, and the syntax is not that difficult to get the feel for, just
get ready to use some brackets.
  Later
Che