Hi Phil,
Not only that but keep in mind that Dos and the early Windows releases were 16 byt operating systems. When 95 came out Microsoft moved to a completely 32 byt operating system forcing developers not only to upgrade, but to convert their programs to 32 byt as well. They completely dumped a bunch of Windows 3.x era APIs in favor of the Win32 API which has become the Windows standard ever since. It was a major leap for the times and we are seeing the same thing when we compare Windows XP and the new 64 byt versions of Windows 7. At any rate Windows 95 completely revolutionized the PC game industry. Not only our sector, but the entire mainstream market was transformed. The Introduction of DirectX saw a massive leap in graphics technology, better sound support, a wider selection of game controllers, you name it. Using Dos for games was in a word just plane dumb after 95 hit the scene. Nobody wanted to go back.

P.S.

I still love using cout or printf to write text directly to the screen. Saves a lot of work drawing your own full screen window just for a simple application.

Cheers!

Phil Vlasak wrote:
Hi Jim,
Yeah, Shades of doom was also the doom of the DOS game.
Me and Carl were happy creating DOS games for the blind just like you were, then Shades of Doom came along and all we heard from customers was do your games work with Windows!
Come to think of it Windows 95 was the doom of games for DOS.
And when Carl tried to convert one of our DOS games to Windows, he got so many errors he decided it wasn't worth the effort and stopped. Of course, back then in 1999 Carl didn't have windows 95 or a windows 95 screen reading program, so not only was he trying to write game for an operating system he didn't know, he was using a screen reader that he was not comfortable with. Yes Windows 98 was out but the screen readers were not quite ready yet for it.
By the way our DOS games were written in Borland C plus plus for DOS.
So he was Couting everything to the screen.
grin.
Phil