Hi James,
If he did write a Dos prototype it was never released to my knoledge. Besides that by 1999 and 2000 Dos was effectively the Dead Operating System. Most people, definitely me, were using Windos instead of Dos. Well, I was using older versions of Linux too, but it wasn't accessible then like it is today.

James Dietz wrote:
I remember reading in one of the later issues (after your excerpt)
that he originally developed a DOS prototype. It was broken and slow
and weird so he had to make the decision to switch to windows.  I
don't actually remember playing a DOS prototype though - was that ever
released?
Anyway I think SOD is the most incredibly revolutionizing accessible
game yet. Engrossing atmosphere and slightly random for high replay.