Hi,
JavaScript can store your information/produce sounds, and re-load HTML
pages behind the scene with AJAX. ( I've done a similar thing with
I'll hopefully release very very soon.) You'd store information in
variables, and perhaps store saved games in cookies. Going this route,
players can save the various HTML files to there hard drives. (You can
also just use 1 HTML file. The different links users need to click to
make choices, etc, can all be accomplished in 1 file with JavaScript).

If your trying to do something kind of like LOTGD, your best bet is a
combination of JavaScript and PHP. You could store the character's
login/password, and the different stats on them (health, level, etc)
with MySQL. You can make use of JavaScript to load sounds. PHP would
echo HTML code for various links to do things.
-Ryan