Hi Dark,

The experience that I've had giving support to people with netbooks is that it's a bit of a hit and miss, sometimes the game works flawlessly and sometimes it has issues. This is despite the fact that all these people were running Windows xp or above, and has more to do with processor speed. That, I'd say, is just as important a factor when playing games as having enough ram is. If you get a single core machine I'd suggest not getting anything that is below 2 gHz, and if it's a dual or quad core then you could probably go for 1.2 or 1.5 gHz or something around that mark. In short, netbooks are good as long as you get one with enough processing power to do what you need.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: <Gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:10 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Netbooks and games

Hi.

firstly, appologies for the miner absense, I've been away at my parents' bungalow by the see, which is very nice, ---- but has no net access. i'm currently considdering doing something slightly drastic, --- -replacing a computer before! one of mine explodes!

There is nothing wrong with my laptop, it's four years old, and works fine (I'm writing on it right now). I have however been considdering replacing it with a netbook.

My laptop has about a 512 mb ram, and only a 32 gig harddrive, ---- which, given that my current music, audio and games collection comprises about 50 gig, just won't do. It's also got only 3 hours of battery life on one battery, ---- or six hours if I change batteries mid way through.

I've therefore been considdering upgrading my portable machine to a netbook, which runs xp, has 10 times the storage capacity, twice the ram, ---- and seemingly three times the battery life, judging by those I've been looking at (there was a very nice samsung model I was taken with).

Is there however, anything I've particularly missed, ---- especially concerning audio games.

I'd assume if a netbook is running xp home, in practical terms it'd function like a physically smaller, more powerful version of my current laptop, ---- but i could be wrong?

any advice would be much appreciated.

Beware the grue!