Hi Dark,
Well, I've managed to do some research between the time I wrote you last, and it would appear some of my information on the ssd drives was wrong. Thanks to a post from someone off list he sent me a link to an article found on Wikipedia comparing conventional hard drives to solid state drives. Overall the article indicated the solid state drives are faster, use less battery power, and are usually the better choice. From what I've read the only reason a person might not want a solid state drive is if you want a very large hard drive for lots of storage space. However, the rest of my post is on target. One thing I've managed to uncover is the technical specifications for alot of these Netbooks are capped. They have underpowered processors, less cache on the processors, and very cheap sound cards. Basically, the design specification of these computers is something you would take with you to class to take notes, take with you to read an e-book, write up a report, manage your finances, whatever but aren't intended or designed for serious gaming and heavy multimedia applications. I haven't heard of a case where my games would not run on a netbook, but they don't have the best sound cards, they have crappy keyboards, and lower end processors. As far as the Samsung netbooks I've heard good things about them. However, that is hear say, and I'dhate for you to take my word on that. So all I can say is take some advice from those who own netbooks, and see what they say.

Cheers!

dark wrote:
Hi Jason.

well this isn't sounding so cheerful in general. i'd be interested to know how to check specs more generally. The model I find myself looking at now is the samsung n140, which comes with 270 ghz speed and either windows xp or windows 7 (though i'd go for xp), and boasts good sound quality, ---- though after all the comments on list I'm seriously considdering waiting for solid state harddrives to develope further (as I said, there's nothing actually wrong with my laptop other than lack of drive space).

Has anyone got any thoughts?

Beware the grue!