From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 14 January 2010 18:59
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] using a program called art money for game cheating.

Hi,
Not only are copyrights an issue but the cost of litigation  is usually too
expensive to take someone's butt to court for piracy. That's the main reason
why I agreed to discontinue Montezuma's Revenge. By the time I litigated the
copyright issues with Utopia  I'd be thousands of dollars in the hole. Even
if I won the litigation the money spent on fighting the suit couldn't b
recovered through sales  from such a small minority market. There are ways
however of punishing the offending parties without legal litigation.For
example, if you know certain keys are being used by pirates the developer
can black list those keys an an updated version of the game. Another option
is to use some sort of online registration system that keeps track of the
number of times a certain key has been installed. If it reaches the magic
number of installs it will not register the game.

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 10:25 +0000, Darren Harris wrote:
> Technically yes but in practicality to be honest the majority of blind
> games out there are clones of the original so even if the developer
> was to take someone to court over it they probably wouldn't get far
> because it's not original material and they probably haven't got copy
> write permission anyway so it's probably never going to be an issue
> beyond a bit of kicking and screaming.

subscription via the web, at