Hi Darren,
Exactly. I read a gaming article a year or so ago that pretty much
boiled down to the same thing. The game industry are targeting young
kids with little to know imagination so they put all of the effort
into cool sounds and graphics and totally skip the part that a game is
suppose to have an engaging and interesting story line. In a nutshell
what the article said was that todays video games are being dummed
down for people with little imagination, and adding lots of flashy
graphics and sounds to make up for their total lack of quality
content.
However, that doesn't explain their attitudes over on Game Spot. I
think what it boils down to is their total inexperience with blind
computer users in general. They have grown up with this ignorant
assumption that blind people can't play games, can't use computers, we
all use braille, count steps, and whatever else the general sighted
public thinks of us. It is the kind of attitudes we can't really get
rid of until there more of us in the public eye, and unfortunately the
ones that will get the most attention is those of us whom we'd rather
not be seen or heard. I think you know what I mean.

Cheers!