Hi Charles,
Well, this isn't necessarily about game complexity or challenge, but
how we, as game developers, can convey the same sort of information to
a blind gamer through audio as a sighted gamer would get by looking at
the screen. Having a more or less advanced 2d layout happens to be one
of those things lacking in audio games, and hasn't really been tried
before in an audio only format. Since I have already mentioned Tomb
Raider Prophecy as an example in an earlier message I'll continue to
use it here as an example of what we are talking about.
When you play a game like Tomb Raider Prophecy you are shown a 2d
vista of various cliffs, ledges, pitfalls, etc. That is having items
above and below your current position. You might have to take a rather
long running jump to get up onto a low hanging ledge, catch it, and
then use control+up arrow to pull yourself onto it. You then might
take a few steps left and use up arrow to skale the cliffside to get
up to a higher level to grab  a med kit sitting up there. Once you get
it you can get off the cliff by running right, take a long leep from
the top of that ledge, down to a lower ledge to the right and below
your position, and jump from there back down to the ground level. This
type of layout isn't unusual for mainstream games, but hasn't even
been seriously attempted by any audio game developer
So bottom line Dark was wondering how we could indicate this type of
game layout with ledges or cliffs above and possably below your
current location. Especially, if you have to take a long running jump
to jump up and catch it, or take a running jump to clear a very large
gap between two different levels and ledges. After all we don't have
the advantage of sight and can't see that ledge b is very far away
from ledge a.
The game that really comes to mind here is Monkey Business. In level 4
you have to cross a series of ledges to get to the teleporter. So far
I know of know one who has mastered that level, and one reason is
James North didn't give us enough verbal or sound feedback to quite
see the level as a whole, or figure out how things relate to each
other in the game world. I for one think it could have been done
differently and made things less complicated. Were it a mainstream
video game there would be more information given just by looking at it
visually. Somehow a game developer needs to convey the exact same
visual information via audio or verbal directions.

Cheers!