Hi Dark,
Proves my point though. Monkey Business is a good game, but the audio
navigation tools are very difficult to use. I can finish the first
three levels without any help, but as soon as I hit the ledges level
you can forget it. The tools fail utterly. Even if you used the
walkthrough to get passed the ledges level the acid pits leading to
the Aztec temple aren't exactly easy either. It took me a good month
of trying to figure out how to jump accross them, and it comes down to
standing at the right place and jumping over them. This, however,
might have been solved with a much better system of describing the
environment verbally to the player.
I think anything we come up with to make low and high hanging ledges
autible still requires a verbal system as backup. Not all of us have
good hearing, and some of us aren't able to process autible clues as
readily as someone else. I've had customers tell me that they have a
hearing loss in one or the other ear and they have troubles playing
games where it depends on both ears for sound cues. The one way they
solve this problem is depending on speech output to tell them what is
going on on their left or right side.