Okay, I'll explain about functions, return values, etc.

Let's take an example function that adds two numbers. This would be like you meeting some guy, and saying, "From time to time I may call on you. When I do, I'll give you two numbers. I want you to add them together, and then give me the result, as a number." Then, you might tell the guy, "3 and 5." He would then say "8." The return type of a function tells the program what type of value to expect back from the function. If we say void, that means the function will not return anything. If we say int, that means that, when we call the function, we expect it to return an int to us. When we specify function parameters, here's where the first and second ints come into play. These are undefined outside our adding function, because there's no need for them anywhere else. They're kind of like that particular function's private workspace, where it can do anything it wants. It can also define other variables that are only valid within that function, within its private workspace. When the function returns, the janitor comes along and clears away all the junk from the function's private workspace, so nobody else will ever see it again. When we call the function inside the main function, we're passing in two parameters to the function. These parameters will fill the first and second ints. That means, the function already has data in its private workspace when it begins. It then manipulates that data, and returns the result of those manipulations.
Hope that helped!
Jayson

To: <Gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:57 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Bgt stuff that confuses me

Hi.

Having already read through the tutorial once, I stil find myself mildly confused on a couple of matters.

Firstly, all the stuff relating to doubled short or long intagers and bits and bytes. I'm rather uncertain why or when I would want to use variables such as int8, double, or short which relate to the size of bits and bytes. Shorely, a number is a number and can be written as such?

Secondly, I'm uncertain as to the difference betwene void functions and return result functions, and I must confess I don't follow this example:

void main()
{
int x=add_numbers(3, 5);
alert("Wow", "3 + 5 is... " + x + "!");
}
int add_numbers(int first, int second)
{
int result=first+second;

I can see that the alert will write the text string with the int x, however, hasn't the (3 + 5), already produced the result of 8 for x?

Also, I have absolutely no idea what the business involving "int first" and "int second" is all about, sinse how does bgt know what first and second actually mean? it seems this function is working with a lot of intagers which haven't been defigned successfully, but which work (I tried creating a secript with this and it printed fine).

Btw, sinse I'm interested in rpg games (and sinse I'm not exactly overflowing with useable sounds), I thought I'd begin by writing a basic text box turn based combat game similar to acefire. I can't promise anything astounding, but I'm hoping it'll be a good exercise for me if nothing els, and teach me something useful about Bgt.

Beware the grue!