I've never understood that either, probably why I've always gotten such poor grades in math.
Vender: No pizza. Only Khlav Kalash.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Bgt stuff that confuses me

Hi Dark,
Smile. Welcome to the wonderful world of resource management. Don't
feel too bad as this is an issue that comes up all the time with new
programmers, because they often think as you do that a number is just
a number and don't understand the difference between int, float, long,
short, double, etc.
Thing is with computers before you can actually store a value, like a
number, you have to allocate enough memory on the heap to store it in
memory. The value 3 requires a lot less memory than the value
3.14159265. For a small integer value like 3 you can use a short
integer which will create just enough space in memory to handle that
value. For a large floating point value like 3.14159265 you'll want a
double value which will create a much larger block of memory on the
heap for storage. While you could create all your numeric variables as
double you'll run into the problem of waisting memory needlessly and
waisting valuable system resources that could be used elsewhere. That
is why it is a good idea only to asign enough space on the heap that
you actually need rather than using the largest amount of memory
possible just to store a   small integer like 3.
As for your script questions remember in the main() function when you
call the add_numbers() function it hasn't been defined in your script
yet. So while the add_numbers() function does indeed add two numbers
but if you don't actually create that function somewhere in your
script that function doesn't exist. As it happens you create the
add_numbers() function after the main() function and it gets called by
main to add two numbers of type int. Does that make sense?
As far as the variables first and second you declared them as function
parameters in the declaration of your function like
int add-numbers (int first, int second)
which is perfectly legal and proper code. What this does is tell the
function that it requires two parameters of type int, and they must be
entered when the function is called like
int result = add_numbers (5, 7);
in order to perform the calculation. Otherwise without declaring first
and second as part of the function declaration you couldn't pass any
values or parameters to the function.

HTH