Good analogy Jason.
Best Regards,
Hawyden

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Jayson Smith
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:31 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Bgt stuff that confuses me

Okay, I'll explain about functions, return values, etc.

     Let's take an example function that adds two numbers. This would be
like you meeting some guy, and saying, "From time to time I may call on you.

When I do, I'll give you two numbers. I want you to add them together, and
then give me the result, as a number." Then, you might tell the guy, "3 and
5." He would then say "8."
     The return type of a function tells the program what type of value to
expect back from the function. If we say void, that means the function will
not return anything. If we say int, that means that, when we call the
function, we expect it to return an int to us.
     When we specify function parameters, here's where the first and second
ints come into play. These are undefined outside our adding function,
because there's no need for them anywhere else. They're kind of like that
particular function's private workspace, where it can do anything it wants.
It can also define other variables that are only valid within that function,

within its private workspace. When the function returns, the janitor comes
along and clears away all the junk from the function's private workspace, so

nobody else will ever see it again.
     When we call the function inside the main function, we're passing in
two parameters to the function. These parameters will fill the first and
second ints. That means, the function already has data in its private
workspace when it begins. It then manipulates that data, and returns the
result of those manipulations.
Hope that helped!
Jayson