Hi Hayden,
Yeah, that might work but I'm not exactly  a fan of Sapi.  For one
thing most of the voices are too robotic or inhuman sounding and ruins
my gaming experience.  The other issue is that handling Sapi in C++ is
a total pain in the butt.
The big problem is that most of Microsoft's C++ libraries require you
to convert ascii text to unicode characters which is a royal pain in
the tail. Newer languages, such as the .Net languages, automatically
do this conversion for you.  As a result you can't just pass the
contents of a C++ variable to Sapi without converting the data in said
variable to unicode first. As a result I tend to avoid some of
Microsoft's Windows specific dll libraries and APIs for that specific
reason.