Hi Phil,
You know that's a pretty good idea.  It would be kind of cool jamming
a torch into a zombie for example. Since the undead, all undead
creatures, are especially hurt by fire that would be a pretty painful
and damaging attack. Heck with trying to bblow them away with guns
just torch the creeps. Lol!
Your idea of putting the torch out so you can't see Medusa also is a
cool idea.  That's actually better than using the shield. If you can't
see her the doom gaze couldn't really hurt you much. You and Medusa
would have to resort to other kinds of attacks in the dark.