We had a league of beep ball teams in Phoenix, Arizona back in the middle seventies, and had to have a playoff game to determine which team would go to the national finals. The team we were to play was captained by a lawyer. All year, he would win on what he called technicalities, but we called rule breaking. His spotters would call a first name if the ball was hit to your left, a number if it was hit to your right, and "position 3", for example if it was hit right at you. The rules stated that the spotter is to call out the number of the closest player to where the ball was hit. In the game before the last one, this lawyer was called for cheating. He claimed that it was not breaking the rules, just bending them a bit. Was he cheating?, or was he being sneaky.

We showed up at the ball field where all of the games had been held for the final playoff game. We loosened up before the game was to be held, and none of the other team, as well as none of the umpires, showed up. We figured we had won by a forfeit. The next day, some of the members of the other team called us and asked where we had been the night before? Why didn't we show up for the game? As it turned out, we had not been notified that the location had been changed. Every member of the other team, and every umpire, had been called by this lawyer captain. Not one of us was called. According to the umpires, we lost due to a no show. To this day, I say that we were flat out cheated. I vowed to never take interested in beep ball leagues as long as this guy had anything whatsoever to do with the game. If you beat me fair and square, you win. If you have to cheat, you did not win. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Important MOTA News

Hi Bryan,
Well, some might call what Athena does cheating, but others might also
see it as being clever and sneeky. For example, the Trojan Horse, was
her idea, and of course that was the deciding factor in the Trojan
War. It was a sneeky and underhanded trick to get a small force of
armed men inside Troi's deffences, but it worked. Was that cheating or
just being sneeky?
As for Athena's contest with Arachne Athena did in deed use the clouds
to do her weaving which of course caused her to win the contest.
However, As Athena herself told Arachne after she had won the contest
Arachne didn't tell her that she couldn't use the clouds before the
contest started. Again, this could be seen as cheating, but it also
could mean Athena was being sneeky and underhanded because the terms
of the contest never said that she couldn't use the clouds in her
weaving. Sure what she did wasn't fair, but she was only playing by
the rules stipulated before the contest started, and they didn't state
that using the clouds was prohibited.
However, in that particular story we also get to see Athena's
compassion for mortals too. after Arachne lost the contest she tried
to hang herself with a rope. Athena saw this and turned Arachne into a
spider, and made her the master weaver of all the animals. I think
that was meant as a  belated apology and possibly as a gift of sorts.