From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Charles Rivard
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:33 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] sneakiness? or cheating - Re: Important MOTA News

We had a league of beep ball teams in Phoenix, Arizona back in the middle
seventies, and had to have a playoff game to determine which team would go
to the national finals.  The team we were to play was captained by a lawyer.

All year, he would win on what he called technicalities, but we called rule
breaking.  His spotters would call a first name if the ball was hit to your
left, a number if it was hit to your right, and "position 3", for example if

it was hit right at you.  The rules stated that the spotter is to call out
the number of the closest player to where the ball was hit.  In the game
before the last one, this lawyer was called for cheating.  He claimed that
it was not breaking the rules, just bending them a bit.  Was he cheating?,
or was he being sneaky.

We showed up at the ball field where all of the games had been held for the
final playoff game.  We loosened up before the game was to be held, and none

of the other team, as well as none of the umpires, showed up.  We figured we

had won by a forfeit.  The next day, some of the members of the other team
called us and asked where we had been the night before?  Why didn't we show
up for the game?  As it turned out, we had not been notified that the
location had been changed.  Every member of the other team, and every
umpire, had been called by this lawyer captain.  Not one of us was called.
According to the umpires, we lost due to a no show.  To this day, I say that

we were flat out cheated.  I vowed to never take interested in beep ball
leagues as long as this guy had anything whatsoever to do with the game.  If

you beat me fair and square, you win.  If you have to cheat, you did not
win.