From a technical standpoint, your decision makes sense. All that XP users
have to do is to keep their OS current. What does it cost? Time and effort, and not all that much of either.

---
Shepherds are the best beasts!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Tomb Hunter Error

Hi,
Yeah, my decision to run Windows 7 is certainly a personal one, but
the decision to build my games using the latest Visual C++ compiler
and libraries is a technical one.  A decision based on maintaining the
greatest amount of stability and compatibility across various Windows
versions from XP, Vista, and Windows 7. I can't help it if a user
chooses not to install the Windows updates or is running Service Pack
2 when they need Service Pack 3 etc. That is their decision to
continue running an out of date version of XP when what I'm trying to
do offers them a greater amount of stability and compatibility if the
ever should buy a new computer and end up having Windows 7 anyway. I
simply don't believe in using the lowest common denominator to pander
to a few users that don't believe they need to keep there XP, Vista,
or Windos 7 installation up to date for one reason or another.
Personally I find that both senseless and needless from a technical
point of view.
As far as running my games on 98 you really can't as the design is far
newer than the Windows 98 era stuff, but I certainly could, if I
wanted to, modify the source and recompile it with Visual C++ 6.0 and
create a 98 version. However, as Windows 98 is practically upgraded
out  of existance it makes little sense to create a version to support
an os that old. I doubt there are many VI gamers still running 98 now
days.