Well I'm certainly glad I didn't download the file Hayri got all excited about. What I don't understand is how he even got access to it. But I look forward to the actual official Beta release.
We are the Knights who saaaaay...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2010 7:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mota 14

Hi,
There are actually two reasons why the sounds are uncompressed. The
first one is that the game performs smoother/faster without having to
attempt to decompress the audio data from ogg, mp3, wma, or whatever
before loading them. That cuts way down on CPU power and load times
using uncompressed sound data.  The second issue is I'm something of a
perfectionist when it comes to sound  quality. Personally I think mp3
and ogg really kill the audio quality of music, sounds, etc and to me
the drop in audio quality was very evident.
Still if the size of the downloads becomes an issue I can certainly
release the public releases using ogg format or some other compressed
format if people really want to go that route. On the beta list we
discussed this and most were of the opinion leaving the sounds
decompressed was a better choice, but hey I can do either one here.
Just depends on how people feel about it.

HTH

well its bigger because for whatever reason we are running
uncompressed files in the game.