Hi Charles,
Well, one purpose of using any zip tool is simply to pack multipl
files into one single archive that can be downloaded. If you are going
to use an archive like zip, bz2, gz, whatever you might as well find
the one with the best compression as well.
It is not just the people downloading the file we have to worry about.
I have to use hard drive sspace on the server  to store my files and
while I have a max account that space isn't exactly infinite. Plus I
am given a certain amount of bandwidth per month and if I go over that
limit I either have to suspend downloads for a few days until my
bandwidth gets reset on the first of the next month or pay the extra
bandwidth fees. So it still pays to shrink the files size down  for
the person hosting the files as well as giving the end users a quicker
and smaller download.
Smile.