Hi Phil,
Ah, that makes sense. That  is what happens hear. As I said it doesn't
seam to bother me, but others claim it gives them trouble. I suppose
it is I am just use to it, and it doesn't feel at all weird to me. I
can fiddle some more with the 3d settings but like I have said several
times before it is not really a simple pan control like DirectSound.
It is a 3d listener interface overkill for this kind of game, and it
could take quite a long time fiddling with settings to get anything
remotely equal to the DirectSound pan settings. Maybe not even then as
you have all that overhead where it calculates sound virtually using
3d parameters.