Hi Shaun,
Well, then that is your sound card not the game. When I walk there is
a progression of movement getting nearer as I walk towards it and it
fades out as I walk away from it. It might be like 90%, 75%, 50%, 25%,
center, and then 25%, 50%, etc in the other direction. It definitely
is not a snap from right to center, to left as you described. There is
definitely some panning going on here. So I have to conclude the
problem is specific to your hardware not rendering the audio properly.