Hi Shaun,
Lol! No, there is no such thing as a 3d side-scroller. You can include
3d graphics and animation, render sounds in 3d, but that in itself
doesn't make it 3d. Side-scrollers are by definition a 2d game where
you start from the leftside of the screen and work your way right to
the rightside of the screen. Ocationally you might have to climb up or
down the y axis, but there is only an x and y axis to the game. If we
added a third axis, z, suddenly you are probably talking about a
third-person game with an x, y, and z axis of movement.

Cheers!