Actually.  I just want to say that I mean that the panning should be in 2d
of course but that's the king of panning we need - normal panning

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 09 October 2010 21:54
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mota beta14 absolutely rocks!

Hi Kevin,
I think you are confusing simple 2d panning with rendering sounds
through a 3d renderer interface. Comparing those two things from a
technical point of view is like showing someone an apple and saying it
is an orange. They are totally different things and can't be compared
to each other equally.
All of the new games you mentioned such as the Grand Theft Auto
series, Counter-Strike, Need for Speed, whatever have a 3d audio
interface and therefore all the sounds are rendered using a 3d
renderer. Since they depend on a 3d renderer for 5.1 surround sound to
position audio they are absolutely not using simple 2d panning.
Panning and 3d renderers from a programming/technical discussion are
like comparing apples and oranges.
If you are confused about the difference between stereo panning and
5.1 surround sound I think you need to read some programming books on
DirectX or some other explanitory document that explains the
fundimental differences. However, I can sum it up by saying 2d panning
simply moves the sound between a left and right channel of audio. A 3d
renderer such as that which comes with XAudio2, for example, allows
you to position the sound between 5 channels giving you the ability to
take advantage of 5.1 surround sound technology.
So what people are saying that new games don't use panning is true.
They don't use panning but 5.1 surround sound.So you bfore telling
people they are wrong, that this or that is false, I think you need to
do a little more technical research on the matter. Panning and 5.1
surround sound aren't the same thing.

HTH