Oh no. People's reactions were completely justified.

The man busted back onto the scene telling us Montezuma's Revenge was gold.
We weren't told it was in development, but that it was a finished product.
So I, and many others, went out and bought copies based on that fact.

It turned out that several months later, the game still hadn't been
released, and he would tell us, on the evening of the release, "Sorry, guys.
The game won't be coming out tonight as I decided to have the family over
for a barbecue. So anyone who wants ribs, chicken alfredo, and peach cobbler
can come on over."

Nearly six years later, you all know the story.

I bought Montezuma's Revenge because I thought the game was completed. I
bought Max Shrapnel and 3 months of server subscription because, believing
he had the ability to complete games in a timely manner, I assumed Max was
on the same path. $100.77 later, I know better.

You can generalize blind people all you want, but it doesn't change the fact
that James North, as a businessman, left way too many people out in the
cold. I don't care that he was fed up with blind people, republicans,
aliens, rhubarb, or Velveteen rabbits. The man had--and still has--an
obligation to finish what he started, backed by thousands of dollars of
people's money.

Ryan