To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] game difficulties was Re: best side scroller? -Re:Q9 version 1.2.

I certainly understand where you're coming from, but if the game's too
difficult, it gets to a point where your fastest reflexes won't help you out
for long. Since Q9 is Philip's most recent game, let's use it as an
example.You set game to insane and start walking around. at some point
during the game a rhino, and about 5 other animals come galloping at you at
full speed. what do we do in that situation? we can't kill them all without
taking massive damage in the process, and since there's no way of dodging we
can't attack them on mass, and hope to survive anyhow. so they all attack at
once and we die within 10 seconds. In this situation you could say well jump
away from them. We could do that, but what if there's a pit behind us? Also
remember Q9 enemies follow you indefinitely once they see you so are we just
gonna run all the way back to the beginning of the level, at which point
we'll be trapped regardless? . if we jump forward and over them somehow,
only thing that'll happen is we'll have another pile of enemies from that
side added to our current predicament all ganging up on us. I don't find a
difficulty like that fun or challenging, I find it extremely frustrating.
Console games have a balance between the easiest and hardest difficulties
that stays constant, and also within the realm of possibility to complete.
even games that are extremely difficult and almost impossible to beat have a
multiplayer option, or a way to get health items, or some such feature
that'll spread, or lessen the burden of completing the game and that won't
lead to frustration for the player for the next 3 years. I think if
developers are going to put an extremely hard difficulty, they need to test
it out or at least have a team that's good enough at the particular title to
test it for them, and complete the game first to make 100% certain it's
doable. Don't just put it out there without the slightest clue whether
someone will ever be able to complete it. If I had the programming skills, I
could make a game that has a difficulty setting with 350 creatures moving at
55mph and all attacking simultaneously in 3d space, but I know no one will
ever complete such a game. and if no one can beat it and brag about it, then
what would be the point? the clue's in the name guys. It's called game
difficulty setting, not game impossibility setting. or unbeatable game
setting.