Hi Dark, the fact that main game companies don't indlude the blind in their gaming plans seems to me like discrimination, iether that or they just can't be bothered! I think they always make excuses as to why they don't provide games which would also work for the blind, for example the game Maro Cart on the nintendo should at least have some form of audio description which could be turned off and on through the game's set up menu. Why don't they at least give it a try? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eleanor" <elea...@7128.com>
To: <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:16 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] bavisoft

Dark said -"

While it's possible that, if in 20 or 30 or so years when gamers start losing their vision the major companies will take notice (and even then
probably not), I doubt very much it'll happen in the mean time."

It won't take nearly that long. The 2010 ESA Essential Facts paper indicated that 26%of the gamers are over 50 years old. Since over 40% of people 65 and older report at least one disability(US census data), and the baby boomers are sixty or older, there are a lot of gamers who need accessibility options built in now and in the upcoming years. Obviously this is not all blind and VI problems, but it should mean something to mainstream developers that they are losing potential customers, right now, not 20 or 30 years from now! And it will only increase as the trend for older folk to play games continues!

When you add the older gamers to the mix it becomes a little easier to think about profitability if you add at least some accessibility accommodations to your games.

But our paper, Gaming on a Collision Course didn't manage to convince many developers that they should go that route - some of the blog comments were pretty derogatory!

Eleanor Robinson
7-128 Software