Hi Hayden,

Well, there is a major reason why something like Visual C++ is much
larger and takes an entire cd. The big one is that with Visual C++ you
get a lot more than just the compiler. You get the Visual C++
compiler, Visual C++ IDE, MSDN Express, Windows Platform SDK, etc.
Basically, you get lots of extra development libs, tools, etc which
you may or may not need. Unfortunately, there are some rather large
exceptions like the ATL stuff which a serious Windows developer could
use and they don't ship with Express or Standard. You need pro for the
ATL stuff. Grrr...

Anyway, with BGT Philip has managed to wrap all the necessary stuff
into a single API, an engine, and simplify  it by extending that
functionality through a scripting language like Angelscript. So what
would take a standard C++ developer like me several GB of software can
be shrunk down to a simple set of libraries and a script compiler when
it is contained in something like BGT. You don't need the Sapi 5 SDK,
because BGT has already linked the Sapi 5 lib and wrapped it for you.
You don't need the DirectX SDK because BGT has wrapped
DirectInput, DirectSound, etc saving you several hundred MB of
libraries, documentation, and so on right there. You don't need the
platform SDK which is over a GB if you get the full SDK, because all
the important libs you need to access are nicely wrapped by BGT. So
that wacks off a lot of overhead. So I'm not at all a bit surprised
that BGT is small.

Cheers!