Hi Charles,

I don't know. Maybe the Microsoft developers are mad as a hatter,
crazier than a bed bug, or outright loons.  Grin.

Actually, there is a reason but it doesn't make sense to the common
user from a practical standpoint. Essentially, from a business
perspective one way to resell a software product and keep that product
going is to convince their target market that the product they have is
out dated, obsolete, and the new product is somehow infurior even if
there really isn't anything new for sale. One way to do that is to
perform an inexpensive upgrade on the software like removing classic
menus and replacing them with menu ribbons, add some flashier
graphics, and a newer and sexier interface that just looks new. Of
course, there might not really be anything new or revolutionary about
the product itself, but the new look and feel might convince people
that this newer version is better than the version they have.

For example, I see this done all the time with computers. You might
walk through Wal-Mart and see an HP or Compaq for $699, with certain
specs, and adds screaming how much newer and better this system is
compared to the previous model. Now, by March or April you will see
that computer marked down to $499 and there will be a HP right next to
it for $699. In most of the cases the $699 computer might have most of
the same software, hardware, etc but they put it in a newer looking
case, paint it a different color, and try and convince you that the
$499 model is infurior to the $699 model even though the hardware is
almost identical. Maybe it has a 3.8 GHZ processor over a 3.6 GHZ
processor, but at that speed the performance isn't going to be that
big a deal for the average computer user. It just sounds better, but
in practical terms it isn't worth throwing away the computer you
purchased six months ago.

In the long run software developers do the same thing. For example, I
have downloaded and tested Jaws 12 and there isn't a thing it can do
that Jaws 11 can't already do, and I personally think it is an
absolute waist of an SMA. They didn't even address some outstanding
bugs such as the fact under Windows 7 it incorrectly identifies the
number of items in a list, and a couple of other bugs. There is a lot
of non-essential changes in Jaws 12, but I frankly don't think it is
worth an upgrade so I have no plans to renew my SMA at this time.  In
fact, some of the changes they did with the config manager etc I don't
even like. It is a classic case of fixing something that wasn't even
broke, and not fixing something that was broke. Software companies
pull this kind of stuff all of the time.