I sent a message to the list earlier today, but I'm not seeing it.  Basically,
I've begun a community project for all you programmers, sound and music
designers.  This is the first freeware open-source game the blind community has
which uses 3d audio--or it better be.  If it's not then I've worked my butt off
reinventing the wheel..  It's coded in VB6 and uses directx 8.
The game can be found at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13071564/heli.zip

It's in very early public beta, and I probably am already working on any errors
you find, but let me know about them anyway.
Here is the manual.

Welcome to Heli, the virtual toy helicopter you can fly!

There has been much talk in the past about a game building project that many
people can participate in. Well, I've begun one. Now, here's where the rubber
meets the road. Here is where we'll see if gamers are all talk about this
subject or if they add their own ideas.

The game

So far, here is the game, designed in VB6. Yes, it's archaic or whatever, but
it's what I know. Wanna translate it? Go ahead.

Anyway, the basic idea is that you and a friend just got a couple of those new
battle copters, you know, the ones you fly around the house? Well, you're in a
living room that's about ten feet high, and 20 by 20. You fly your chopper
around the room, trying to shoot down your friend before he gets you.

The Trim:

Now, you're not the only one that flies this helicopter, because you have a
young brother/sister/cousin that plays with it, so every time you start the
game you'll need to adjust the trim to 0. To adjust it, use the home and end
keys. When it gets to 0, the sound of the knob turning will change. If you
don't adjust the trim, the helicopter will fly around in circles--which you may
want to do sometimes.

To fly, hold down the page up key to gain altitude. Since you're flying a
helicopter, the faster the rotors turn, the higher it goes. As you increase in
height, your velocity in that direction also increases. If you get going too
fast you'll smash against the ceiling, and your chopper will fall. You get
about ten smashes before it's unusable. Also, page down will slow the rotors,
making the chopper descend. Now turn with the left and right arrow keys and fly
forwards or backwards with the up and down arrows. You can show off to your
friend by landing the chopper on your head, but that takes a lot of work and a
little luck.

If you're in range of your opponent, a target beep sounds, indicating that
you're in range to shoot the other copter down. Turn with the left and right
arrows until the beeps are in front of you, then shoot with the space bar. If
you get him, it's your point--but if he shoots you down, it's his point. In
either case, the shot chopper will float down to the ground, and both will
respawn at their starting locations.

The enemy chopper starts out very slow. It always comes after you, but the
first little while it is slow. This allows you to adjust your trim, get used to
flying and so on. Every time you shoot him though, he flies a bit faster.
Eventually, he will outfly and outgun you no matter how good you think you are.
Yep, another unbeatable game from DreamTech! (You wouldn't really wanna be able
to win now, would ya?)

Now, there are obstacles in the room, but you can smash 'em if you want. The
first is a TV, which is playing some weird music when the game starts. To smash
it, simply fly at an altitude of three feet or less, and go after it. More
obstacles, such as lamps, are coming.

Controls:

Page up for ascend, page down for descend, home and end adjust trim, left and
right arrows for turning, up and down arrows for moving, a says your current
angle, x says your current coordinates, v says your velocity, and space bar
fires your gun.

Note: This game is not only to be a community project, but it's an early early
beta. I've only been working on it for two weeks now, but there are many things
to add and fix, such as the frequency of the targeting beeps. I know this, and
I'll be working on them--but remember, you can too.

Also, realize that working with 3d audio isn't nearly as easy as panning and
volume--well, it wasn't in the beginning. Now though, that you have a
foundation to build on, it should be very simple. I've included a book on
programming vb6 that I found on the net, as well as a couple tutorials on 3d
audio by Jack Hoxley.

I want to encourage developers that programming isn't the only essential here.
Sounds and music are crucial too, so if you want to make sounds or music but
don't have a clue about programming, you can join in as well. The sound for
Heli, your chopper, is basically a motor sound with the sound of a chain saw
mixed in. The sky's the limit when it comes to imagination. (Yeah, I know it
sounds silly, but wait till you hear it!)

Ken Downey

DTI

Ken Downey
President