To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Game Engines was Heli

Hi Philip,

... But I would never make any of my games open source
because of the simple fact that I don't want people to mess around
with or steal my source code. ...
<snip>

Indeed that is your choice. Actually by using angelscript in BGT you make it available to a wide audience for testing
and thus contributing indirectly to it's development.

I hope I didn't came across as advocating in my original message. I was just stating the other side of the argument.
Maybe I was advocating a bit, but that's my choice as well. <smile>

Take care,

Rynhardt

* Philip Bennefall <phi...@blastbay.com> [110123 16:13]:
Hi Thomas and Rhynhardt,

I'm neither for or against open source software. I am very thankful
to those who write open source libraries and allow them to be used
in commercial applications, as that speeds up my own development by
about 500 %. But I would never make any of my games open source
because of the simple fact that I don't want people to mess around
with or steal my source code. I have spent a considerable sum of
money outsourcing a lot of the core parts of my game engine and so
it would be utter foolishness for me to simply throw that money in
the sea as we say in Sweden. It is for the same reason that I
protect my sounds from being altered or stolen, because I don't want
the investments I have made in that department to simply be
exploited. I'm happy to provide my game engine along with some open
source components to do trivial things such as my menu class, my
sound pool class to handle audio environments, my number speaker
class to intelligently concatenate sound files to have numbers
spoken, etc etc. But the real code is protected and always will be.

For my Mac port when the time comes, I will probably be using
CoreAudio directly. For networking I can stick with what I already
have, since ENet fits the bill for BGT perfectly and already works
on Mac OS as far as I'm aware. The same goes for AngelScript.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rynhardt Kruger"
<rynkru...@gmail.com>